Updates and musings from one momma nurse

Followers

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Expecting the Norm

On the type of units where I work, healthy is the norm. My patients may have pre-existing conditions (such as diabetes or high blood pressure), but most of them choose to be in the hospital. Perhaps it is for an elective procedure, or perhaps it is to deliver a child.

When I take care of my patients, I have certain expectations about their course of treatment.

Sometimes, though, complications develop, and it is my job to be aware and proactive.

I have found that my tendency is to assume that everything will be normal, and to shrug off aberrations as just slight deviations from the norm that will resolve themselves.

I have to make a conscious effort to pay close attention to each detail of each assessment, and to give serious weight to any concerns raised by patients or their loved ones, so that the proper steps can be taken to optimize their health.

I recently had a mother tearfully thanking me for being in tune with her child's condition as it developed, and getting him the interventions he needed.

THAT is why I am a nurse.

To provide for my patients' needs, whether they are physical, emotional, or spiritual.

To provide a listening ear and a sympathetic heart.

To answer questions.

To teach.

To enable.

And if necessary, to delegate to someone with a higher level of expertise, so that all needs can still be met.

No comments:

Post a Comment