Updates and musings from one momma nurse

Followers

Thursday, December 25, 2008

The End of Week One

Work at the hospital is getting better. I'm becoming more and more comfortable in my role there. I have a better idea of what needs to be done, and what I can and can't do. I was on the same section of the floor for three days in a row, so I got to know some of the patients pretty well.

One ornery old man had been pressing his call light constantly, complaining about everything, cussing up a storm, and just being a pain in everyone's rear. By day three, I think he had gotten more used to me (and vice versa), and I made sure to attend to the things I knew were important to him. Before I left his room, I checked to see that his trash can was close by, his pillows were arranged to his liking, everything on his bedside table was set up the way he wanted it, etc. That little extra effort cut waaaay down on the number of times he hit his call light, and he was more likely to agree to do the crazy things I wanted him to do, like wash up.

I had several patients and family members tell me I was doing a good job. A little positive feedback is always nice.

This week I've:
-discontinued IVs
-discharged patients
-had post-op patients (we are more vigilant with them when they are just out of surgery)
-discontinued catheters (but haven't put any in yet)

I just feel like I'm getting more of the hang of things, getting a bit of that intuition that you need in a profession like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment