Updates and musings from one momma nurse

Followers

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

First Day

Today was my first day on the floor. Well, I've been to the floor before, but this was my first day with patients.

Highlights:
-young (my age) head injury patient.. alcohol + driving at high speeds => confusion, unsteadiness, not knowing where you are, trouble with basic tasks of daily living. Don't do it. Not worth it.
-emptying catheters
-stripping/making beds
-taking vitals
-lots of bed baths and dressing changes (I just observed those- will do them on my own next time)

I learned a lot, and enjoyed my day. Yes, it's 8 hours on my feet, but I liked interacting with patients and families, and being able to DO something for people. I am able to fulfill needs, right there. What a cool profession!
---------
On a completely different note, one of the best parts of my day is opening up the door and hearing little footsteps pounding in my direction. Sweet Pea has begun running to greet me as soon as she hears the door, and it warms my heart! Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment