Updates and musings from one momma nurse

Followers

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Orientation Over

Yesterday was my last day on orientation. I have a few days off, but my next day on, I'm flying solo! I'm not too worried- the last week has gone pretty well, and I feel prepared. I also know that the others on my shift are helpful, and glad to answer questions.

More positive feedback from patients and families. One gentleman said he wished I was his daughter or daughter-in-law, because I was so nice. Multiple others said I will make a great nurse.

I went in to check on one lady, whose husband Mr. B was there with her. When I asked if either of them needed anything, they looked at me like I had just offered to donate a kidney. I explained that I have been the family member of a patient before, and it's always nice being acknowledged. And when I came back with crackers and peanut butter and Sprite for Mr. B? Forget about it. When Mrs. B got discharged, I wheeled her down to where they had parked and helped her into the car. I got a hug and gratitude from Mr. B. Made my day!

And finally, a little PSA for y'all. If you are visiting your family member in the hospital, and the family member is getting a blood transfusion, and the pump controlling the blood flow starts beeping, please do NOT turn off the pump! I don't care if you are about to start your first semester of clinicals in your medical assistant program. Turning off pumps and then not notifying anyone tends to annoy those responsible for your family member's care.
----------
In child-news, Sweet Pea has finally given up her lifelong boycott of meat. Lunchmeat and chicken strips are currently popular.

And today (1.10) marks five years since R and I have been a couple, and five years since our first kiss. We are celebrating by watching football, just like that day in 2004. We may even get crazy and hold hands later, to recreate the moment. :)

1 comment: